Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dr. X and the Thyroid Killer

At the continued insistence of dear Dr. Pamela Hite, I phoned the Rheumatologist she recommended, only to find out that his office did not accept my insurance nor was he even in town.  I instead scheduled an appointment with a different Rheumatologist recommended by the doctor that Dr. Hite recommended.  He shall remain nameless, since I have nothing nice to say about him.   The appointment went something like this: 
 Dr. X: Have you ever heard of Hashimoto's?   
Me: Yes. 
Dr. X: Then you may know that Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that causes your thyroid antibodies to attack your thyroid.  
Me: Yes, I have heard of it. 
Dr. X.: Your thyroid antibodies are quite high, but your thyroid function is still good, so there is nothing I can do for you. Once your thyroid isn't functioning anymore you can take a pill every day to replace the hormones your thyroid is no longer producing.  
Me: Isn't there anything I can do to prevent my thyroid from being destroyed? Maybe take some supplements or something? 
Dr. X: No. What you need is to relax.  You need, what they call, "Cognitive Behavior Therapy," to control your anxiety. You are too anxious. 

Unbeknownst to Dr. X, I am a strong believer and regular practicer of behavior therapy and regularly monitor my stress to eliminate triggers.  My symptoms, contrary to popular mainstream medical opinion, are not all in my head. 

I left my appointment with a stronger resolve than ever to seek out alternative treatments that could dispute Dr. X's claim. Is there really no treatment to stop my antibodies from attacking my thyroid?  Let's just see...

No comments:

Post a Comment