Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis


Hashimoto's was named after Hakaru Hashimoto, the physician who first published his findings regarding lymphomatous thyroid tumors in Japan in 1912. 
It is one of the most common autoimmune diseases, effecting 1 to 1.5 out of 1000 people, and women are 7 times as likely to get it as men. The average age of diagnosis is between 40-60.  

I learned very quickly, by availing myself to sources like, Stop the Thyroid Madness and Hashimoto's 411, that mainstream medicine does not treat Hashimoto's. Mainstream medicine treats hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism with synthetic hormones and sometimes, with natural hormones made from the thyroids of dissected pigs.  

Because most symptoms of Hashimoto's do not show up in labs, like fatigue, heart palpitations, anxiety, tremor, low blood pressure, low body temperature, joint and muscle pain, they are largely ignored, or attributed to mental illness.  Yes, even Dr. X suggested that I was suffering from anxiety and that I just needed to relax.  While this is partially true, I am also in chronic discomfort, I am not firing on all cylinders, and most importantly, my thyroid is under attack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment